Trend: Google's ad platform is outdistancing the competition.
Ed Kohler at the Technology Evangelist blog lists the six reasons that Google is winning. Note: Google Adwords and Yahoo Search Marketing are the two ad platforms that generate the bulk of each company's profits.
.... key differences in their Pay Per Click platforms:
- Search Term Wildcarding: AdWords offers more - and easier to use - options for controlling when your search terms will be displayed.
- Reporting: ...Google's actually works. The reporting is faster, easier to navigate, easier to export, and easier to save/schedule.
- Site Targeted Advertising: Google has found a way to get more money out of [advertisers] through the same platform. And it works.
- Ad Scoring Systems: Google switched to a quality scoring system that changes the minimum bids based on a term's, "click through rate (CTR), relevance of your ad text, historical keyword performance, the quality of your ad's landing page, and other relevancy factors."
- More advertisers = More Relevant Ads
- Make Publishers Money: Google receives more clicks and makes more money.